The TEFL Academy/TTA TEFL
The TEFL Academy program was on my to-do list for a looong time, so when I finally got round to purchasing the course I wasn’t expecting the buyer’s remorse that immediately followed. I guess I’ll be able to use the certification in some form or other. It’s just annoying that TTA TEFL didn’t honor their refund procedure when I requested my money back; leaving me captive to the course and scrambling to find the reason behind all of the negative reviews written about this TEFL certification company.
The TEFL Academy review, submitted by Carol.
The TEFL Academy (TTA TEFL) plus points:
- 1. This company has literally thousands of positive student reviews across the board on the many TEFL review websites which TTA TEFL self promote.
- 2. The payment process was quick and easy and I received my login keys almost as soon as my payment went through.
- 3. Help is on hand when needed. You create a ticket and the idea is that someone gets back to you within 48 hours with a helpful reply.
- 4. TTA TEFL is a company based in the UK, which I guess is where most of the more well-established TEFL companies have been located since the beginning.
- 5. The TEFL certificate looks wonderful! A true piece of art! It’s something that I would feel proud of presenting at a job interview.
The TEFL Academy (TTA TEFL) minus points:
- 1. I’ve come to the conclusion that the majority of positive reviews for this school, on the websites TTA TEFL self promote, are more than probably fake reviews. There is a real disconnect between TTA TEFL’s reviews on trustedteflreviews.com and other websites, such as reviews.io, where TTA TEFL garner 10 or 20 5-star reviews a day from unverified reviewers. I’m much more inclined to believe the reviews written on TTA TEFL on trustedteflreviews.com.
- 2. Help is on hand and when it comes it is helpful. But, but, but, it takes a loong time to receive a response. I often waited a week or more for someone from TTA TEFL to get to me. By the time they had, I’d just winged the part and hoped that my guesses were correct.
- 3. Feedback on assignments was very ambiguous. My friend and I submitted the exact same test answers and we each received a different grade for that test.
- 4. I chose the TEFL Academy because of their impressive list of accreditation partners. They are not accredited in the slightest. They are affiliated with a few education bodies that monitor the quality of distance learning courses, but these bodies don’t provide TEFL accreditation. It’s not within their power to do so. I’ve read numerous blogs and forum threads where people write that accreditation doesn’t matter and employers just want to see you have a TEFL certificate. This is fine, but I don’t like being lied to and I don’t like paying a premium for that lie.
- 5. Compared to CIEE TEFL, TEFL Online Pro, and Vantage TEFL, TTA TEFL is overpriced. I’d recommend going with one of the former programs because you will receive the same product, except you will actually get an accredited TEFL certificate at the end. It will work out cheaper too for you.
Overall, I’d give The TEFL Academy (TTA TEFL) 3.5 stars out of 10.
The course was very good, but the long waits for responses and the fact that they are dishonest when it comes to their accreditation claims has left me with a bad overall impression of this company.
Read more The TEFL Academy reviews