International TEFL Academy review, submitted by Joel.
I completed the TEFL program with this company in August 2021.
Positives of the program:
- The course materials are excellent. They are written and presented on a high level and appear to cover all the core topics of TEFL teaching.
- The course is supplemented by instructional videos. These segmented the course nicely and ensured that the course didn’t become too wordy or text heavy.
- The feedback I received on my assignments was excellent. Someone had clearly taken the time to read carefully through my coursework and the grade I received from each was fair. A few of my assignments also came with recommendations on how I could have improved my work. I learned a lot because of this honest, constructive feedback.
- The course certificate looks the part.
- ITA has an international jobs board for graduate students of the program. Although most of the job adverts have been in countries which I’m not interested in teaching in, I have found a few leads for online teaching jobs.
Negatives of the program:
- The price of the course is much higher than many others which I have looked at since. I’m not really sure why this is so when the course follows the same syllabus as many cheaper TEFL courses.
- The big negative for me was the rigidity of the course timetable. I hadn’t realized there were courses you can take without a set start and end date. If you take this course, you have to start and end on a certain date and you have to submit your assignments on specific dates too.
- It took me about a week to come to terms with the study platform (Moodle). It’s outdated software and there were glitches in the system from time to time.
Overall a bit of a mixed review from me. The course is fantastic, there is no debate there, but the rigidity of the course timetable will probably put a lot of people off from taking this course. If ITA could move away from using Moodle, I think they would dramatically improve the course experience for students in the program.
I’m going to rate the ITA TEFL program a 60% for student satisfaction.
Read more International TEFL Academy reviews